Interesting title.  I suppose there are improper portraits, then
<grin>?

Available light is always something wonderful.  Even though I must use
flash many times, the directional available light, such as you had,
can be great to work with.  That being said, this light seems just a
little strong - based on viewing her shoulder near the scarf.  For the
future, it would be good to try to diffuse the light just a little
more.

Where the light and shadows fall is good and shows her face off pretty
well.  Biggest tip to give you is to shoot a lot and experiment with
the light.  Good start here.

--
Best regards,
Bruce