On Sun, 02 Sep 2001 18:56:06 +0800, dave o'brien wrote:

> >I haven't tried that, but I'm going to try a surveyor's tripod
> >(aluminum) the next time the moon is full, about a week from now.  I've
> >also managed to get two 2X-S t/cs for good prices lately, so I'm hoping
> >to get much better 2/3-frame moon shots.
>
> A surveyor's tripod doesn't really have to be all that accurate. When
> using a theodolite, errors in your readings will probably cancel out
> or not be significant.

I was really looking for a wooden tripod, for the extra damping of
vibrations, but the aluminum one was a gift.  The main reason for
getting a surveyor's tripod in the first place was so it would hold the
weight of the vibration damping masses, based on the comments of some
of the other long-distance shooters on the PDML.  I've got two 2.5#
ankle weights to drape over the camera itself, and a 5 gallon bucket to
"fill" with sand and hang from the center post.  If the weather will
clear up tonight or tomorrow night I'll be in business.

TTYL, DougF