> From: "David Savage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2006/10/05 Thu PM 12:59:48 GMT
> To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
> Subject: Re: Need some help with lens reasembly...
>
> On 10/5/06, mike wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > > From: Doug Franklin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Would an appropriately sized piston ring compressor from the auto parts
> > > store help hold everything in place while you slip it into the barrel?
> > >

> > I suspect something like that will be the official tool to do this job but
> > a normal ring compressor would probably be too thick and get in the way.  I
> > found that I could tilt the ring enough to hold the ball in against the
> > spring on one side and then gently slip the other side over the rest of the
> > gubbins.  After about the 20th try and well over an hour searching for the
> > fugitive ball bearing.  It goes off like a Saturn V if you slip.
>
> It sounds like a strip of brass shimming material tightly wound around
> the detent when fitting the aperture ring might help.

I had a real good think about something like that when I was doing them but
came to the conclusion that it probably wouldn't work.  It would have to be
very thin not to get in the way of things and capable of staying in shape when
things were being manipulated around it.  Even shim steel would probably not
have the properties needed.  Plus, it would be sharp enough to introduce its
own hazard.....

> But I've never pulled a lens apart, so I don't know if it's feasible.
>
> Dave

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software