William Robb wrote:

> Without knowing the lens in question, is it possible to put a filter
> wrench on the filter, and a strap wrench on the lens to hold the lens
> from coming apart?

I don't think it is, due to the built in hood and the focus ring.  I'll
take another look, though, just to be sure.  I was so frustrated I put
the lens aside and haven't looked at it in a couple of days.

> Sometimes also, a gentle tap or two can be made to loosed the things,
> especially if it is a dielectric weld that is holding the filter to the
> lens.

Hmmm.  I might be able to do this with a punch, I'll check.

The real problem is that the lens hood, when fully retracted, just
barely exposes the bottom of the filter.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)