Dave wrote:

> I shoot mainly horses,jumping or at rest and cats some dogs
> and Trumpeter Swans when they let me.

You mean when they're in season? I heartily approve of shooting cats, but
the wanton slaughter of horses is appalling.

Seriously, a story making the rounds in Vermont when I lived there 20 years
ago was that a New York hunter came up to hunt deer and bagged exactly
nothing. On his way home he came across a fenced field with eleven quarter
horses in it. So he propped his rifle on the railing and shot all of them
dead.

The enraged breeder appeared with his own gun screaming, "are you crazy?
Those are HORSES, not DEER!" The hunter admitted that he knew that, and the
farmer informed him that the horses were worth $90,000. So the hunter calmly
wrote out a check for $90,000, handed it to the breeder, got in his car, and
drove away.

The story goes that the horses were valuable quarter horses and that the
poor breeder's brood stock never recovered.

I have no idea if this is true or whether it was "anti-New-York-hunter"
propaganda (there was a lot of that in the rural area of Vermont where I
lived back then), but it was believed by everybody locally.

--Mike