>My take is that prices may go even higher, once everyone with a camera
 >older than the K10D realizes that the DA* lenses will not autofocus with
 >their camera.

Is that fact or rumor?

Dave

-----

Not exactly rumor, more like reasoned engineering analysis. I'm not an
engineer, but a discussion over at dpreview convinced me that it would
be technically difficult and expensive to include both autofocus
mechanisms. I would be happy for this analysis to be wrong.

Also, Pentax has recently been less than fully solicitous for users who
have invested in things like pre-A lenses, aperture rings, TTL flashes,
and CF cards--even customers who have bought equipment quite recently,
like the MZ-S or the *ist D. So I would not be surprised if Pentax
shafts us again, this time by unshafting us.

BTW, the rumor from a Pentax guy at Photokina is that the DA* and D FA*
lenses will have both in-lens motors and the older autofocus drive
shaft. Make of that what you will. A Pentax guy also claimed that the
K10D would be able to take replaceable batteries. We know how that
turned out. I no longer trust reports from Pentax guys.

I understand that at Photokina, Japanese employees set up the display
for these lenses while the local Pentax employees were told to stay away.

The most reliable early information these days is coming out of Malta.
Go figure.

Joe