Paul wrote:

>In regards to
> build-quality, I know that the MZ-S is much better than my Z-1p, but how
> much of the MZ-S is actually metal?

Much more than on the Z-1p at least. It really doesn't matter. The main difference is
that the MZ-S is designed for being sturdy snd stiff whereas the Z-1p is not. The MZ-S
has a remarkably strong body and material choices are fundamented in the wish to make
a very sturdy slr. Eg. the plastic inside of the battery chanber has ribs as
reinforcements; you won't find anything like that on the Z-1p. Whats more, the outer
body of the MZ-S isn't just a protecting cover but an integrated part of the structure
of the camera providing strength and stiffness and generally work as a solid shell.

>Isn't the back made of plastic?

Yes it is but its probably more solid than an equally thin metal back.

> the case of weather sealing, I would like a camera that is well sealed
> against moisture and dust, I recall this being discussed a while back,
> but can no longer remember--or locate in the archives--the final word.

The MZ-S has no particular weather sealing as far as I know. However, its by nature
much more protected than the Z-1p; the latter is open at both command dials.

>I would appreciate it if anyone who has experience with
> the MZ-S(especially outdoors), could fill in the some of the blanks, and
> share some thoughts and comments.

The MZ-S is great camera outdoors due to its great resistance to impact, small size
and low weight. Its weather protection is good. The main drawback is battery
consumption. You should never leave home without spare batteries.

Pel