James,

The meter I've used for years is the Minolta Auto
Meter IVf. It's simple to use. Once a reading is taken
you can scroll through f stops and shutter speeds very
quickly. It shows a range of stops from f1 to f90,
speeds from 30 min to 1/8000 second and an ISO range
of 3 to 8000. It also has Cine frame rates and works
as a corded flash meter. They can had on eBay for
around $200.

A spot meter would be handy to measure shadow areas
and highlights if you're looking to split the
difference or favor one or the other. Otherwise you
can you take a reflected measurement off of a gray
card and go with that.

-Brendan