>> By rights, they should have introduced a whole new lens line with a
>> shorter register difference. I imagine that they both knew how that
>> would have gone over with the present user base, and didn't have the
>> financial resources to do it.
>> A compromise on several levels.
>
> Didn't Olympus do that with the 4/3? How are they doing?

The store I worked at was doing a lot of good business with the Olympus
system.  This was at least partly because Olympus has, ever since the E-1
came out, been trying to do most of their business with specialty shops and
smaller chains, as opposed to big box stores and internet-only retailers.

Another reason was because Olympus' original line of 4/3 lenses (14-54mm,
50-200mm, etc) and their current pro-end lenses are really good.  I mean
REALLY good.  A large chunk of my coworkers, at the time the E-1 came out,
switched to the E system because of the lenses.  There were dozens of 12x18
prints floating around the store from various people's E-1s, and we used
those shots to sell the system.  The E system got off to a hell of a start,
from our perspective.

The problem with the E system, as others have pointed out, is noise.
Olympus and their partners haven't been able to come up with a good solution
to the noise problem presented by their chosen sensor, and so haven't come
out with a pro body to replace the E-1, even though E system owners have
been clamoring for one for ages now.  They keep telling us, "next year,
we'll have the new pro model ready," but nothing has come out.  At this
point, I'll believe it when I see it.

John Celio

--

http://www.neovenator.com

AIM: Neopifex

"Hey, I'm an artist.  I can do whatever I want and pretend I'm making a
statement."