The aperture simulator is there to support the aperture ring.  The 645
lens mount is electro-mechanically equivalent of a KFA lens mount.
Pentax could then use exactly the same electronics in the 645 and all of
their 35mm cameras, a significant cost savings.  I expect that the 645D
will no longer support the aperture ring but will change the aperture
from the camera body.  But who knows.

--
Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler.

                        --Albert Einstein