You and I are evidently on opposite ends of the user spectrum. I
picked up the A2 and figured out most of its functions and features,
more than I usually need for my photographic work, without opening
the owner's manual in about 5 minutes. There are many subtleties that
the instruction manual then expanded upon and enhanced for me. It
contains more features and options than most even recent film SLR
cameras ever had, and presents them in a straightforward and useful way.

The biggest drawback to the A2 compared to a DSLR is the fact that
its small sensor has only so much sensitivity. And, of course, being
a fixed lens camera its flexibility is limited by the range and
quality of the fixed lens. There's nothing wrong with the quality ...
the range depends upon your photographic pursuits. I don't consider
them as "SLR wannabes". They are a different kind of camera, their
only relation to an SLR is in the general shape which is a successful
shape dictated by human hands and faces/eyes for hand-held, eye-level
cameras.

The control paradigm is not the same as a twenty+ year old film SLR
camera. If that is your model for camera operation there is no wonder
you are so displeased with it. To use it requires learning something
different from what you are used to. Just like learning to use a 4x5
view camera requires learning something quite different from
operating a Pentax MX.