Leaving negatives in shoeboxes in attics or basements is your choice.  If
you carefully store them in cabinets you won't have any issues.  Speaking of
which I came across negatives that my father took in the fifties and went
through a flood in 1973 and are still viable.

Being in the IT field I have seen CD's damaged beyond use by simply leaving
them stacked together without protection between each one.  I'm only
suggesting that digital media and "chemical" media are both able to be
stored and accessed for long periods if you take the time to do it right.
Why store your CDs one way and not give the same care to your negatives?

Christian Skofteland