Marnie, I too am thinking about the 1800. A friend has one that he really
likes as well.
Last evening our camera club had a meeting, and one of the members was
discussing a recent problem he is having with his older 1800 (2 yrs old). It
refuses to recognize 8.5x11 paper all of a sudden. Apparantly this has been
an ongoing problem common to the 1800 series. I would be curious as to your
ongoing experience with the printer.
As to profiles, I can't help, but I use a R220 that I am very pleased with.
The only profile I use is the Adobe RGB that I have the istDL set to. In the
printer menu I always select best photo, Digital Camera Correction. Most of
the time it comes darn close to what I see on the screen. I know those
aren't profiles per se, but I have found the printer to operate very nicely.
Much better than what I get at the local photo outlets.

Walt