Jack,

Last September 14th, the Italian press release for the K10D reported that
sales were planned to start late October/early November. I'm rather sure
there are some English sources also stating that.
Sales start usually means the shipping of early stocks from Japan to
importers. Of course, a few days are needed for worldwide delivery, and then
a few more days are needed to send early stocks to stores, so I expected
(and still do) to see the camera actually land on the market around Nov.
8-10.

Despite that, some stores put a date of their own on K10D availability
(usually around mid-October), just to get orders I think. Pentax never said
mid-October.

Then, a Japanese Pentax press release said the K10D has been delayed one
month for the Japanese home market.

Then, I've been told by Pentax importers for Italy that the launch date
remained unchanged for worldwide markets, the delay for Japan being only
intended for feeding more cameras worldwide. Even so, the first  delivery
will be around half the quantity the international importers have required.
That's just because of the huge quantity of pre-orders the interest for the
K10D had raised. So I understand that Pentax has simply been caught by
suprise by the unexpectedly high amount of instant orders such an
interesting camera (at a vey interesting price) has produced.

In other words, they have put a wrong price on it :-) Around 1,200-1,300 $
body only, the camera could also dry the early supplies, and Pentax could
just properly cope with launch. Since they decided for under 1,000 $, the
result is immediate shortage.

Or at least this is how I understand things are going.

Dario