No matter what lens you use, shooting with long lenses is difficult. I'm
still in the learning phase. It is like going hunting. And hunting is hard.

I started with a lens pretty similar to Jens, a Tokina ATX-150-500/5,6.
After a while I realised the optical quality was not good enough at the long
end. Then I moved on to a Tamron 300/2,8 plus the 1,7x TC. The AF is
lightening fast, when refocused. But it does not give accurate auto focus,
and what is the point of AF when it's not accurate? So now I am using a K
500/4,5. Alone or with a 1,4x TC (a gentleman on the list is lending me the
TC).

Jens. I believe your 200-500 is a f:5,6, that's similar to my 150-500. For
me, the half step down to f:4,5 was significant improvement concerning
manual focus.

And to Scott. For me, choosing between the K400/5.6 or a K500/4.5 is a no-
brainer. The half step difference is significant. At least in the
photographing I do now.

My experience is that AF does not make me a better "hunter". On the
contrary: The sights on the 500mm (combined with a flexible tripod), makes
me faster.
A few words about flexible tripod: I've also bought a Manfrotto gimbal mount
head. I believe that's this money is my best spent money on photo equipment.
That's what I call an enablement! It makes the rough framing lightening
fast, and fine tuning the composition is just as fast.

But the tools are not what make you a good or a bad "hunter" (assuming the
optical quality is acceptable). In most hunting you sit at a post waiting
for the birds (or whatever you are "hunting") to come. So the trick is being
able to predict where the motif will show up, and to find the perfect place
to hide. Next is being there at the right time. When you have the bird in
sight, then you can work on the framing, exposure, focus and so on. Usually
if you have done a good job in front, you have all the time you need,
because you have been good at predicting. Predicting where the bird will
show up, the angle, the light, the background and so on.

About talking you out of it Scott, it all comes down to you. What are your
photographic interests? And how much money and time do you want to spend on
these interests?

About the quality of the suggested lenses: I don't know the 400. And I'm
still getting to know the 500, but my experiences so far does not suggest
that there is something wrong about it. It's a beast, but beasts can be
tamed ;-)

Tim
Mostly harmless (just plain Norwegian)