On Oct 22, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Adam Maas wrote:

> Just to be pedantic, I'll note the FA had AMP (Automatic multi-
> pattern)
> metering, matrix metering was introduced on the F801/N8008 (The
> hardware
> was identical though).

Sure, I'll give you that. ;-)

> To this day, I find the FA has one of the best meters Nikon's ever
> produced. In testing, I found it to outperform the later 6 segment
> units
> that Nikon used in the late 90's and early 2000's in the low and
> mid-range bodies. It also performed as well as the 8 segment unit
> in the
> F90/F90x.

I wanted an FA at one point but was satisfied with the FE2 and FM2,
F3. Some folks told me there were a few quality problems with the
FAs, but that didn't make the metering system an issue. Never did get
on with the later low-, mid-range Nikon film bodies.

> The 16 segment unit in the *ist's and k1x0D seem to be similarly
> accurate, and lack the Nikon 5-segment units one failing, the
> occasional
> issue with portrait orientation.

As I say, the only really issue I've found using the DS body for
these past 25,000 exposures is that it tends to underexpose by
0.3-0.7 EV when shooting RAW mode. I think this is because it doesn't
recalibrate exposure for RAW format, like the Sony R1 does. A small
issue for me.

Godfrey