I've lined the bottom of my camera bag's lens compartments (shoulder
bag) with a microfibre cloth (the sort used to clean spectacles) it is
kind to the uv filters and have never had a scratch.  In any case the
lens hood usually ensures that the uv filter never comes into contact
with the cloth. If otoh i'm using a lens without a uv filter then i
religiously put the lens cap back on.

As far as the rear cap I use the non bayonet type caps (like the ones)
supplied with the FA50 1.4 these are practical and very quick to put
on / remove.  They have a tendency to fall off but i find they provide
sufficient protection for a lens in a camera bag.  I normally have a
couple lying around the bag ready for a quick lens change.

Rgds

Patrick
On 10/23/06, cbwaters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I figure the answers to this will be all over the map but here goes:
>
> When your out shooting and changing lenses fairly frequently, Do you replace
> the caps all the time?
>
> I was walking in the city with my daughter this weekend.  We were taking
> photos for a school project on urban areas.  She's 8 so she's in a hurry to
> get moving all the time.  At least until we'd been walking a couple hours
> and were many blocks from the car, then she wanted to sit on every bench,
> stoop, open patch of sidewalk, etc....
> Anyhoo, I was switching between a couple lenses.  I like to keep the caps on
> when not in use but I found that I would just leave the hoods on and dump
> the lens into the bag I was carrying to save time.
>
> So, what do you do?
>
> Cory
> sick of looking at message subjects about surveys...

Regards

Patrick Genovese