In a message dated 10/24/2006 4:58:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
While it may (or may not) be that a larger percentage of (so-called)
serious photographers are men, I think it's true that in it's early
days, a photography (at least in its "higher levels") included a
larger percentage of women than other visual arts.  Think Margaret
Bourke-White, Imogen Cunningham, Dorothea Lange, Tina Mondetti, Julia
Cameron, Leni Reifenstal (a great photographer despite what may have
been her politics).

I've always thought that was because photography was, at the time, a
relatively new medium, and was struggling to be accepted as a true
"art".  There was less resistance to women participating as there
wasn't so much of an establishment as there was in other artforms.
Not only that, but as a newer artform, it may have naturally attracted
women who had an artistic bent, but were effectively shut out from
more established visual arts.

cheers,
frank
=========
Good point. There may be something to that, frank. New fields/mediums
sometimes arrive with no gender attached. I.E. people haven't assigned a gender
them yet in their heads.

Marnie aka Doe :-)