But it obviously wasn't settled to Shel's satisfaction.

I assume that Shel accepted a compromise, being the least unsatisfactory
option open to him.  Had he known what he was going to get, Shel would not
have contracted with JCO in the first place.

And he won't again!  That shows how satisfied he was.

John