On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:06:13 -0700, Bruce Dayton wrote:

>This is an interesting discussion.

Indeed, a lot better than most lately :-)

>Since the first post, I have
>'fixed' the image to not show the reality that was there.  I suppose
>it would be helpful to know the circumstances a bit.
>
>This was shot on San Bruno mountain in a state park that is trying to
>protect the plants and animals.  So first, one would have to decide
>whether to alter the foliage to make a shot that is different than
>reality or not.  Second, it was shot in early afternoon in very bright
>sun.  That means shooting much more like film - because I could barely
>make out the review screen - certainly not well enough to see the
>details that are deemed as less desirable.

OK

>For myself, I tend toward things as they were, rather than altering
>them.  It is probably why my zoo shots still leave me feeling a bit
>like a cheat.  So a little natural flaw doesn't bother me as much as
>some others.
>
>I realize that all picture taking is a manipulation to some degree or
>another.  The lens chosen, the exposure, the filters, the angle and
>composition are all somewhat a manipulation of the subject.
>
>So does putting an insect in the fridge to make it sluggish bother you?

A little bit, its like shooting wildlife in a Zoo or refuge.
It is OK, but I like to make it clear to the viewer.

>Does removing foliage or nearby plants bother you?

Not really (within bounds :-)

>Does misting a spider web bother you?

Not too much no ...

The list can go on.

Indeed ...

>Thoughts anyone?

Well, I do not mind a little bit of manipulation to aid
in composition or getting a better background.

I do sometimes rearrange fallen leaves or remove
small branches when photographing flowers or fungi.

But there are limits of course ...

>Or shall we talk about aperture simulators?

No, all those message would go into a killfile anyway :-)

Regards, JvW