On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Scoot Doggy Dogg wrote:

> What I'd like to do is have the photoshop guy burn me a CD with the
> pics in question so I can take em home & fiddle with em under ADOBE
> Photoshop/Paintshop Pro... then take em back so he can print em.
>
> Does this sound like something YOU would do for me as a customer (burn
> the CD) .... being the pro you are??

Yup, the store I work for does this.

> Or what'd be a fair rate? Once I fiddle with em, then I'd want you to
> mebbe run me some 8x10's & etc... so cooperation would generate you
> some more business (I just understand you don't have the
> time/inclination to waste sitting at a 'puter when you COULD be in the
> dark-room).

Ok, before you go requesting prices from your local people, make sure that
they understand that you'll want to get near photo-quality 8x10's from
the scans.  The "normal" resolution of a Kodak PhotoNet CD or Picture CD
is 1536x1024, which won't provide great 8x10's.  For good 8x10's at, say,
250dpi, you'll need a scan at roughly 2000x3000, though you can probably
get by with less.  This isn't hard to do, but make sure to tell the lab
people that that's what you need, since these tend to be more expensive
than the standard 1536x1024 scans, and you could be in for a shock if you
expect to get them done for a buck apiece.

> I ain't looking to scam the guy... I just want to try & salvage some pics.
>
> Is it doable?? Or is this WAAYYY out in left field?

Locally, the rate seems to be about $16.99 to have a roll scanned to
Kodak's PhotoNet CD, and this is at either medium (1024x1536) or high
(2000x3000) resolution.  If you have the film developed already, there's
an additional charge for each neg/slide that you need scanned.  Kodak's
Picture CD (1024x1536) is only $8.99 here (all prices in Canadian
dollars).  It comes with more fun software, but you can only have one
roll per CD, while the PhotoNet CD can contain multiple rolls as long as
they're all burned to it at the same time.

Hope that makes sense....

chris