Hi,

photojournalism has good reason to be grateful to Hungary for many
reasons. I have the catalogue from an exhibition held in 1987 at the
UK's National Museum of Photography, Film and Television, Bradford
called "The Hungarian Connection - the Roots of Photojournalism". It
features a great many little-known (in the West) Hungarian
photographers from the pre-WWII period, including the excellent Karoly
Escher, whose work is outstanding. There is a photograph of gypsies by
Janos Mullner, taken in 1912, which could be by Salgado.

These photographers developed the style and aesthetic which was exported
out of the East in the flight from Hitler and which became the small-camera
style used by Capa and others.

As well as the 2 Capas, we owe a debt to these other Hungarian emigrants:
Kertesz, Brassai, Moholy Nagy, Munkacsi, and no doubt some others that
I've forgotten, and also to the Hungarian photographers who stayed
behind.

The ISBN of this catalogue is 0-948489-06-5, if anybody wants to try
and trace it. It's very interesting if you're interested in
photojournalism or Hungary (and those parts that are now in Romania).

---

 Bob

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[...]