From: "Bob W" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Pentax-Discuss Mail List'" <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: RE: OT: Snowflake
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 06:34:02 +0100

Prof. Behe's claims have been conclusively disproved many times. Here
is a summary of just some of the disproofs:

http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/design1/article.html

which concludes as follows:

"Paley's 21st century followers claim that the intelligent design
movement is based upon new discoveries in molecular biology, and
represents a novel scientific movement that is worthy of scientific
and educational attention. Couched in the modern language of
biochemistry, Behe's formulation of Paley represents the best hopes of
the movement establish its views as scientifically legitimate. As we
have seen in this brief review, however, it is remarkably easy to
answer each of his principal claims.

This analysis shows that the "evidence" used by modern advocates of
intelligent design to resurrect Paley's early 19th century arguments
is neither novel nor new. Indeed, their only remaining claim against
Darwin is that they cannot imagine how evolution might have produced
such systems. Time and time again, other scientists, unpersuaded by
such self-serving pessimism, have shown (and published) explanations
to the contrary. When closely examined, even the particular molecular
machines employed by the movement as examples of "irreducible
complexity" turn out to be incorrect. Finally, the logic of the
argument itself turns out to have an obvious and fatal flaw.

Prof. Behe argues that anti-religious bias is the reason the
scientific community resists the explanation of design for his
observations:

"Why does the scientific community not greedily embrace its startling
discovery? Why is the observation of design handled with intellectual
gloves? The dilemma is that while one side of the elephant is labeled
intelligent design, the other side might be labeled God." (Behe 1966a:
232)

I would suggest that the actual reason is much simpler. The scientific
community has not embraced the explanation of design because it is
quite clear, on the basis of the evidence, that it is wrong.

Time to build a better mousetrap!

Cheers,
Bob