> So I put a new set of two durecell A76 batteries.  I put the batteries
> one on top of another with the positive (plus+) showing.  No shutter,
> no meter.  I reversed the batteries with both positives (plus+) not
> showing.
>
> Now with the camera set to manual I get a flashing "E" in the left
> window box

The Program Plus will not work in shutter priority, hence the "E" for
"error."  That's one of the nice things about the Super Program.

Both cameras also show "1000" as the shutter speed for the first few shots
after you close the back, with the assumption that you're advancing the
film to the first frame.

chris