Knut wrote:

KK> Since this offset with MF wide angle lenses and PZ bodies has lead to
KK> complaints to Pentax that the metering system is off, the MZ series do not
KK> allow for matrix metering with A (or earlier M/K) lenses any more and
KK> automatically switch to center weighted measurements (at least that is what
KK> someone claimed in a recent posting. I do not own a Pentax MZ). If it is
KK> true, it is a pity, since matrix metering with A/M/K TELEPHOTO lenses (e.g.
KK> over 50mm focal length) is quite correct with PZ bodies!

   Interesting comment Knut, but it needs a bit of correction.

   MZ bodies do allow multisegment metering (matrix designation is
   Nikon's I believe) with A lens series. It is stated so in the
   manual and myself and other MZ owners can testify it. Multisegment
   does not work with K or M lenses when the body switches from
   multisegment to center-weighted.

   Now, I am sure light fall-off data (more specific MTF data) is
   considered into multisegment calculations, but it is not a
   mandatory input. What it needs for multisegment to work - at least
   on MZ bodies - is the maximum lens aperture. This parameter allows
   the camera to evaluate the absolute value of scene brightness,
   hence to distinguish between a high altitude landscape and an
   indoor scene and use different weighting approaches.

   I don't know how multisegment might work on PZ bodies coupled with
   K/M lenses lacking the electric contacts that deliver the maximum
   aperture value, but the above reasoning might be enough for Pentax
   to introduce this restriction on newer bodies.

   Servus, Alin