I believe Type 2 are thicker - don't know if there is any power
requirement difference.

The advantage of microdrives for me was one of cost.  When shooting
weddings in raw, I don't have much time to change cards, so was
looking for higher capacity.  The *istD is relatively slow at writing
out raw, so I found that the later model microdrives are just as fast
as my Lexar WA 40X professional cards.  They are are year or three old
now, so perhaps prices are better on the memory now than when I bought
them.

My biggest gripe about them is the startup time.  They take a few
seconds to spin up to speed so if you haven't shot for a bit (camera
gone to sleep) even though the camera wakes up almost instantaneously,
the microdrive is a couple of seconds after that.

--
Bruce