Hi,

I use to home-develop b&w negative film, scan it, post-process digitally
and then order prints via an online digital photo print service.

Results are good enough for the average digital camera color print, but
my b&w's never came out very well. Last time, I uploaded a b&w gamma
test-picture, which I use to check gamma on my monitor (which turns out
to be ~2.0, as is generally known). Now the print of this picture shows
that the gamma of the printed images is way off 2.0. I have to look into
it, but it seems more in the line of a 1.0 gamma to me (which would mean
that the printing process is 'linear'!).

Any experience on this in the group? Do you process pictures differently
for displaying on a monitor, than for printing via digital print?

I'll now be looking for a specific post-processing that will make my
pictures come out of the online print with 'display-looks'...

Does anyone happen to know if the online print services tend to perform
their own postprocessing to 'optimize my pictures'? If so, it will be
hard to get control at all, I fear.

Groeten,

Vic