More noise than the 6MP bodies was essentially guaranteed, as noise is
linked to sensor site size and the 6MP sensors have much larger sensor
sites. But it's very well controlled, and has the more film-like look
that Pentax has maintained on its bodies than the competition (This is
one reason I'll shoot the K100D [and the *istD when I had it] to 3200
but rarely took the D50 over 800, didn't like the look of the noise on
the Nikon).

-Adam