> From: Charles Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2006/11/23 Thu PM 07:18:17 GMT
> To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
> Subject: Re: OT - Prius Fuel Economy
>
> On Nov 23, 2006, at 12:28, Joseph Tainter wrote:
> > But the owner complained that the car does not trigger the
> > heat-sensitive sensors at intersections, so she gets frustrated
> > waiting
> > for the light to change. I suggested she get out and exhale on the
> > sensor.
> >

> Most intersections use an induction loop - which really is just
> looking for a big hunk of ferrous metal up above it to trigger left-
> turn signals and the likes.
>
> This can make it a problem sometimes for smaller motorcycles that do
> not have much ferrous mass (although you can improve your odds by
> aiming for a spot right above a part of the loop).  I have never ever
> heard of "heat sensors" to detect vehicles at intersections.
>
> I'm not stating that they categorically don't exist!  Just that I
> have never heard of such a thing.  Anyone?

Can't see how it would work on a sunny day, even here.  After the old pressure
pads went, in the late 60's we have had induction loops.  Rumoour has it that
more modern cars, made with mucho aluminium, sometimes have difficulty with
triggering them.

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software