Note that GM didn't want to build the thing in the first place. They
were forced to, lost a bunch of money on it that they saw no way of
recovering and did everything they could to kill it.

The fact that a much later product from another company worked better is
irrelevant to the discussion, as is the fact that GM didn't support a
3rd party who made a powerplant replacement.

GM's in the business of selling cars. If they thought EV1's were viable
products, they wouldn't have killed it. Part of the issue is that unless
battery technology changes dramatically, Electric Vehicles simply will
not be viable in much of the US (California being a major exception).
Batteries simply don't hold a charge well in sub-zero centigrade weather.

-Adam