On 11/26/06 6:51 PM, "Patrice LACOUTURE (GMail)",
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The French answer (for now, but of course there's controversy on this),
> is "stop fossil energy now, live to develop clean, renewable energies,
> and in the meantime fill the gap with the nasty nukes".

French are smart, eh?
I am not advocating the safety of nuclear power plants but was talking about
the "over engineering" aspect which is jacking up the cost enormously.
Primary containment for example is only the first defense and a nuclear
power plant has so many layers of safety barriers (another over
engineering).
Human cannot reduce the risk to zero (just like aircrafts could never be
made crash proof) but today's nuclear plants are very safe.
The problem is that the safety and environmental arguments are mostly
emotional and political.
If certain aspects of nuclear power plants might be judged unsafe, but with
scientific and objective arguments, I am sure they will (and should) be
properly addressed.
But unfortunately, nuclear power plants are usually built in remote sites,
which means farmers and fishermen have to be convinced.  Not that I no way
discredit their ability to make intelligent judgment based on objective
facts, they usually require assistance in public hearing etc.  This is where
the political elements and greed intrude.  Green Piece and Green Party etc
come in and make the issue overly complicated while all farmers/fishermen
really want is as much compensation money as possible.
The worst thing for mankind is to BURN the non-renewable fossil material as
fuel.  When it's gone, it's gone forever, unlike those used in chemical
industries etc.  Besides, in most power generation scheme (including
nuclear), much of energy is lost wasted in a form of exhaust gas (autos) and
cooling water (power plants).  Also, think about thousands of commercial jet
liners each with tons of fuel flying around in any given time, let alone the
fuel used for cargo ships.
Nuclear power plants, as in any other industrial products, have its own
risks but the "probability" of catastrophic accidents is nearly zero now and
it is a matter of consciousness by ourselves of the energy waste we are
creating vs. accepting some theoretical risk.  Difficult subject.
Well, I think I went too far on this OT and should stop, but hope this
BURNING would begin to subside some day :-).

Ken