If you're not buying until after ACR 3.8 ships, then you could use
DNG Converter to translate the PEF to DNG and continue to use PSCS.

However, the features in later versions of CS and ACR 3.x are *well
worth* the upgrade price to me. I had occasion to teach my brother
some image processing techniques on his copy of CS this past week,
and I missed many of the features sorely.

Godfrey