On 12/1/06, Paul Sorenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For Frank - from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's web news - 9 inches of
> snow so far, and still falling.
>
> -P
> ----------------
> *Bicycle messengers riding out the storm*
>
> The streets in downtown Milwaukee are a mess of snow, testing cars and
> plows at each intersection.
>
> Not the bikers.
>
> Breakaway Bicycle Courier, a downtown messenger service, has five riders
> on the streets this morning, plus one who is using a car. Neither rain,
> nor snow, nor .... It goes for bicycle messengers, too.
>
> "We never stop here," said dispatcher Eric Von Munz, in between handling
> a steady volume of calls.
>
> He said the riders, who carry items from office to office, don't have to
> worry as much about cars, since the traffic is slowed. And they can
> follow in the tread marks of cars, which press a path into the snow.
>
> "It's a lot easier than you think," Von Munz said.
>
> But wouldn't the riders prefer a nice warm day, the sun shining and a
> gentle breeze blowing? Not necessarily.
>
> "We love it," Von Munz said. "This is great."

After 9 winters on the road, I can say that I never "loved it" in the
winter!  <g>

I also never missed a day due to weather.  Those days with lots of
snow were actually not that bad - it was slushy days that killed me.
Snow's dry and one can ride a bike on it quite well - and I used my
skinny summer road slicks!

Today in Toronto is the worst of all biking days.  It's +3C, and
raining hard.  These are the days that I hated on the road.  Shivering
on the bike, close to hypothermia.

As you likely know, I'm currently dispatching bike messengers, and so
far, 3 of my bikes have had to bail on me, due to near hypothermia.
It's bad out there.

I wish it was snowing!  ;-)

Thanks for the story, Paul.  I can relate to it!

cheers,
frank