Bill,

 my darkroom experience is fairly thin, but I remember reading recently that
 Ilford advised against presoaking their films beacuse they supposedly contain
 a pre-wetting agent that ensures even development, and this agent will be
 remove by presoaking.

Also, I read somewhere else that with XTOL pre-wetting could lead to uneven
 development (from film to film as I understand it, not the effect you're
 seeing but, who knows ?)
(found this at the Jobo site:
  http://www.jobo-usa.com/bulletins/xtol.htm and
  and http://www.jobo-usa.com/jq/jq9802.htm, under the title 'To Soak or not to