>Is there anyone among you more technically (construction) egineered that
>to a layman can explain why the buildings actually collapsed. I mean
>constructionwise.
>Is the sheer weight, the pressure from the collapsed top floors falling
>down on the ones below, enough to cause the total collapse?

The steel & coatings were designed to handle more common office fired,
but not the intensity of burning jet fuel.  That's outside of their
specificationtolerances.

>Is there anything in the way they are constructed that would have
>prevented the buildings from falling over (like falling on surrounding areas)?

They collapsed vertically because of the design.
The original plan in 1993 to make one fall into the other
probably wouldn't work.  Buildings are designed to be
collapsed vertically because of the crowded areas
where they may need to be someday torn down.
The build design kept it from becoming worse.

>Lasse

Collin