I'm quite happy with the R2400. Colour prints are great, but B&W is
where it really shines & is why I got it. I would have loved the R4800
but there was no way I could justify the cost. If I ever need larger
than A3, I'll go to one of the local labs.

A full set of inks is relatively expensive (about AU$200), but I don't
tend to print a lot (mainly because I don't have anywhere to hang the
prints :-), so the ink cost is spread over 6 months or more.

I really can't recommend with regards to operating costs, I haven't
bothered to work out a per print cost.

If you want to print A3+ sized prints & excellent, IMO, B&W output I
highly recommend the R2400. If you don't need A3 size & aren't fussed
with B&W output, from everything I've heard & read the Epson R800 is
supposed to be very good.

Cheers,

Dave