Sorry if I was unclear, Bob.
As I replied to Godfrey's post, the K10D can establish the identity of
any Pentax autofocus lens, whether the aperture ring is set to A or
not. :-)

It's no big deal, though. It just means that communication and power
supply to the in-lens chip probably goes via some of the contacts that
was added to the bayonet of autofocus lenses.

Jostein