Bob Rapp wrote:

> Shel,
>     Try a "K" adaptor and screw an old (but fabulous) SMC Takumar on and try
> it using the manual/auto selector.. They may be heavier, but they have
> lasted one generation and will last several more.

Thanks for your suggestion.  However, it doesn't answer my question.
These lenses contain the mechanism to operate the auto diaphragm, and
the camera will still have the mechanism to operate the auto diaphragm
with K-mount lenses.  What I'm trying to get a handle on is just how
quiet and stealthful a contemporary SLR can be be made to operate, and
if the camera might be able to be made smaller and more inconspicuous
by eliminating some of the mechanical parts.

Perhaps I was a bit vague with my question, but the thought occurred
to me today, while adapting a Pentax hood to a Leica lens, that a
fully manual SLR in the style of a Leica might be an interesting
concept.  Imagine - no batteries, no functions to fiddle with, no
built-in winder or unneeded electronics, no need for a mechanism to
operate the lens diaphragm, but a beautiful viewfinder, a nice, quiet
shutter, a well-damped and quiet mirror - something like a Leica with
a pentaprism.

While fiddling with the lens hood, I was once again reminded that the
Leica-M is about the same size and roughly the same weight as the
Spotmatic, but the size of some lenses and the noise of the camera get
in the way of some types of shooting.  So, I started to imagine an
even more stripped down MX with lenses that were even smaller than
current lenses - Leica-like in size.  It occurred to me that by
removing the diaphragm operation a lens could be made smaller and
lighter.  This camera could be made with good, durable material and
high-end craftsmanship, and perhaps fit a very special niche.  Pentax
already has the smaller, high-quality Ltd lenses, of which the 43mm is
available in a Leica mount, which, I assume, means no autofocus stuff
inside of it, and no auto-diaphragm mechanism to contend with.

I suspect that most people on the list would discount such a retro
camera in a heartbeat, but for those who like rangefinders, and who
appreciate the benefits of an SLR, this "stealth" Pentax might be an
interesting addition to ones gear.
--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]