>> It's hard to find a filter that is as flare resistant as the lens.

I agree with you 100% on that argument in fact I sometimes take the
filter off when shooting in situations where flare is likely to be a
problem (e.g. backlit situations). OTOH having some protection for the
front element allows me to leave the lens in the camera bag (shoulder
bag) without the lens cap and simply rely on the lens hood to provide
some physical separation.

Ok a $100 filter is not exactly disposable but its a much lower risk
than a lens.   I have some SMC filters and have used them in this
method for ages and have never damaged a filter.

Rgds

Patrick