Did you compare the cost of the extended warranty with the cost of the
repair?

As a general rule, never insure against any risk you can afford to pay
for.  Over your life you will spend two or three times as much on premiums
as you would on repairs and replacements.  Who do you think is paying for
all those big offices, large salaries and expensive cars, not to mention
dividends to shareholders?

Warren Buffet, the world's most successful investor, is into insurance in
a big way.  That says something.

I insure my house, my car, against professional liability, and for medical
matters in North America.  That's quite enough.

John