I get them on used kit and stuff with potential expensive failures
outside the manufacturers warranty period, unless the Manufacturer has a
2 year or longer warranty (Pentax is 2 years in Canada).

The sole exception to that is Future Shop's CSP, which is worth it for
the no-hassle policy. Normally you have to take stuff to the
manufacturers warranty depot if problems happen outside of the return
period, but with CSP you just take it back to Future Shop and they deal
with it. (the exception is computer hardware as warranty-authorized
service depots are common). This is also the only good reason to shop at
Future Shop.

-Adam