From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Michael Chan
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 7:54 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: My Next Dog?

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 00:42 -0600, William Robb wrote:
> [...]

William's right.  It's Bernese Mountain Dog, and it's frequently
shortened to "Berner".  Common mispronunciations include "Burmese"
Mountain Dogs.  On one occasion I ran with that gaffe and said they got
their names from the fighting "Burmese" monks who trained them to guard
Buddhist temples, and that they are the only breed known that could
actually be trained to fight in Bando Tiger form.

Berner Sennenhund is the original name.  They are closely related to the
Greater Swiss, as well as somewhat related to the St. Bernard, Great
Pyrenees, and Newfoundland, all of whom trace their roots to the
Molosser dogs of the Romans.  The breed was developed in the canton of
Berne, Switzerland and is named after the canton as well as the "senner"
or cattleman he worked for, and "hund" (dog).  The breed were originally
working dogs, used principally as carters, herders/drovers, and watch
dogs.

Michael Chan