Since I don't often shoot long lenses one of the most attractive
things about SR to me is the potential to make more use of available
light in my macro photography. However thinking about this and the
relevance of FL in the degree of correction that's applied got me
shinking about effective FL at close subject distances.

Studying my macro lens arsenal it appears that at their maximum
magnification apparent focal length can be quite different to their
infinity FL.

My A*200/4 Macro appears to be effectively 137.5mm at 1:1 mag, so the
change in diagonal AOV through the focus range is from 8.08° at
infinity to 11.74° at 1:1 magnification.

My Voigt Lanthar 125/2.5 is effectively 95mm at 1:1, my FA50/2.8 is
48.75mm at 1:1 and my A50/2.8 is 55.5mm at 2:1

Given this knowledge I can dial in the effective FL on my manual
lenses so that SR is optimized when I'm working at or close to 1:1. My
question is does the SR system compensate for FL change when using
later lenses where manual input of the FL is not available? Obviously
with the shorter FL lenses it of minimum significance as FL doesn't
change dramatically but with longer lenses where shake is magnified it
would be preferential if the system either compensated for FL change
or allowed manual FL entry.

I know it's being critical but I didn't spend all that cash on my
macro lenses with a view to not getting the very best out of them ;-)

--
Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA