On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 11:24:02AM -0500, gfen wrote:

> Same thing. Shomer Shabbas means they don't use computers. I guess its
> easier to shut the system down than to worry about it and possibly violate
> their rules, than to leave it running. Not to mention, if its doing work
> in the background, it may count as work in some roundabout theoretical way.

B&H don't shut their systems down - the website is still up and running,
but just won't accept orders.  You can set up wishlists, browse through
the site, etc. - you just can't place an order.

While not an expert in the rules of what is (and what is not) permitted
in any particular sect, I did notice that my fancy convection oven has
a "Sabbath" mode on the delay timer operation, which randomises the start
time somewhat.  Apparently it is permissible (under at least one reading
of the rules) to program the oven to cook on the Sabbath, but only if
you don't have full control as to just when this will happen.