On 12/11/06 3:20 PM, "Perry Pellechia", <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> These were taken a while back.  Later images are better.  Most of the
> "softness" are due to limited DOF using the reversed lens.

I used to shoot various jewelries for website display for my wife's
business.  Jewelries are difficult subjects to shoot because of reflection
and size.  Flash, ring or otherwise is usually no no.  Reflection from
glittering surface often makes colours completely off balance and contrast
is too harsh.  It has much to do with wave length etc.  Most famous is gold
turning black in print, even though in finder, it looks gold.

My solution was, yes, you guessed it, that is, do what jewelers do.  They
never use any sort of flash, but natural lighting only.  Popular stuff is
"cloud dome" which is nothing more than just translucent dome but it mimic
cloudy day, even lighting and makes macro shooting of small objects so much
easier.

http://www.clouddome.com/

Its price is ridiculously high so I recommend DIY staff, such as translucent
garbage box etc which I also fabricated for larger objects.
I used a copy stand, cloud dome and often black velvet as a background for
jewelleries.

It is nothing more than a diffuser but works so well, and no wonder jewelers
use it.  You can use it under any light, and even ordinary TTL flash which
will give light outside of diffuser but it hardly create shadow.
If you view your object thru finder without diffuser, and with cloud dome or
any equivalent subject, difference is so great and natural colour and
texture are brought out.

I have many example shots but I am too lazy to dig them out and put on my
web page :-).

Maybe I should begin to exhibit my "art" work :-).

Ken