Boris,

That's an unrealistic expectation. Both the *ist D and *ist DS are
very competent cameras. You will not see major improvements at web
resolution rendering between them and the K10D if you are exploiting
their capabilities to the fullest.

I've been completely unconcerned with the expected advantages of the
K10D regarding image quality: I knew in advance that it would have
improved resolution for large prints, that the upper bound of noise
and sensitivity would not be a problem for me, etc. That's why all
the picayune whinging about it has been nonsense as far as I'm
concerned. Pentax has built a very fine camera in the D, DS and other
siblings ... the K10D continues in that tradition with new
capabilities regards color balance adjustability, better capture
handling, speed and responsiveness, etc.

In these preliminary snapshots, I'm testing more the camera's
dynamics in use and new features. I'm still in the "getting to know
you" stage of K10D ownership ... I find the *ist DS to be a very very
competent camera and I'm looking for what the K10D offers that
improves upon it, for my use. So far:

- The overall speed and responsiveness of the K10D, both AF and IO
systems, is an huge plus and worth the additional bulk and weight.

- The metering system seems to be more consistent and closer to the
corrent calibration for RAW capture.

- The color balance control system is extremely good ... I'm still
learning it, but it's the first camera I've used where i might want
to use in-camera JPEG capture intentionally.

- I like the fact that nearly all the features of the DS I never
used ... the program presets ... are gone and replaced with features
that I likely *will* use.

- The Shake Reduction system will extend some of my hand-held
capabilities.

- The exposure bracketing options and feedback are the *best* I've
seen in any camera ... this is the first camera since I've had the
feature available that I consider it actually useful.

- The K10D offers nuance beyond what the *ist DS offers. Image
quality seems right up to par, meets my expectations for improvement
over the DS. Noise is well controlled, and the bias to resolution and
detailing vs smoothness is what I prefer: I can always smooth things
myself, but I can't add detail.

Because a complete first impression should include what I don't like ...

Well, the only thing I can think of is that if I were designing the
two-wheel control system, I would have placed the front wheel more to
the inside of the grip and maybe at a slight angle to make it easier
to use. And I might have used a different lever design on the focus
mode switch to allow it to be operated without looking at it more
easily. Both of these things seem to be mostly a matter of ergonomic
accommodation at this point in time: I'll adapt as I get my
musculature trained for the new control positions and movements.

One of the things I was testing in this first set of photos was not
the camera itself at all ... It was how well using Adobe Camera Raw
with the in-camera DNG format RAW files would work, since Adobe has
not yet released a version of Camera Raw or Lightroom that supports
K10D PEF files. There's been some debate on this topic between myself
and a couple of friends who's opinions I usually find credible. We
disagree about Camera Raw ... They prefer Silkypix, which I find near
to unusable due to its UI although it produces very good quality RAW
conversions. So one of my goals in this first exploration was to see
whether I could get the kind of results I would be satisfied with
using Camera Raw or whether I needed to move to a different RAW
processing application and workflow to get my work done. I'm happy so
far that I can get what I want out of my current tool set, I'm not
yet finished convincing myself that I can get the same or better
quality than the others produce.

Godfrey