On Dec 13, 2006, at 6:27 PM, Joseph Tainter wrote:

>>> A valuable test, Godfrey. Interesting that with the K10D the 150x
>>> gives
>>> so little improvement over the 60x. Is the difference due to
>>> different
>>> brands of card? Or is 150x overkill for the K10D?
>>
>> You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think 18% RAW/12% JPEG
>> improvement is "so little". Two digit percentage improvements I would
>> deem to be significant even in a conservative evaluation.
>
> I guess I would have expected something close to 150% improvement. But
> perhaps the manufacturers just want me to anticipate that.

Total performance is more complex than that. The NNx speed rating is
on reads, normally, not writes, and it might well be optimistic. Lots
of bits come into play with regard to card cage and driver design as
well.

Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III cards tend to read and write faster
than other cards with similar rated speed. Either Sandisk is more
honest or more conservative with their ratings ... take your pick.

But I still think that an 18% improvement in performance is significant.

Godfrey