> John, may I ask how you managed to damage it? The one on my *ist D
> seems pretty damned robust, it stood up to three years of abuse, I
> never protected it and I did a lot of bush trekking with it bouncing
> off my belt buckle and tree branches etc.

I broke it thusly:

The camera was sitting on my couch.  If you were facing my couch, the camera
was pointing to the leftish side.  I tossed my TV remote at the right side
of the couch.  It bounced, my heart skipped a beat, and the corner of the
remote went straight into the screen.  This was the result:
http://www.neovenator.com/special/pentaxscreen.jpg

The LCD screen still worked fine, but I didn't want to risk further damage,
so I sent it in.  I thought they'd just replace the plastic cover, but they
ended up replacing the whole LCD assembly.  Cost more than I was expecting.
:(

The worst part is, there are some specks of dust UNDER the plastic LCD cover
from their work.  Pretty lame excuse for customer service, but I didn't want
to be without my camera for three weeks again for them to just clean it out.

John

--
http://www.neovenator.com
http://www.cafepress.com/neovenatorphoto