On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:29:55 -0000, Tom C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I personally find the list to be largely self-congratulatory.
> In
> other words the vast majority of shots are praised whether they possess
> merit or not.

I disagree.  Most photos don't get many comments, and often those
comments, whilst generally positive, will include constructive suggestions.

> While I don't believe the photographer should be denigrated for what
> might be considered generally a poor shot by most, neither does
> *apparently* thoughtless random commendaion help them improve. It also
> tends to make the commendation for good shots less meaningful.

Beethoven said that artists don't want tears, they want applause (I may
have said this before).  Simple appreciation of their efforts is
appreciated by most humans.  If you don't like it, don't assume your views
are shared by all.

John