There's a lot of good MilSF these days, but there's some excellent
non-miliary SF these days.

I'd look at Ken Macleod for starters as well as Eric Flint's 1632
series, both touch at milSF but are more about people and societies. But
golde-age style SF pretty much died in the 60's. Most non-milSF these
days is pretty out there utopian stuff, although there are gems in there.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy is another good non-military SF series.

-Adam